Monday, January 14, 2013

Home Organization Challenge



It is a new year and I have challenged myself to a 12-week get organized challenge. The goal is to get my home organized in 12 weeks. I am hoping that by Easter my home is in tiptop shape and that every room is put together. The biggest part of this challenge is going to be my basement (way too many things). To get a handle on things, I recently took advantage of a recent sale on storage containers at Wal-Mart. Over this past weekend, I also got a variety of storage contains for the kitchen and bathrooms.

Working from home means that many of my activities tend to spill over into other parts of the house. It also means that things can become very distracting. I know that my 12-week challenge is a bit on the overly ambitious side, but I figure this way I am sure to get more done. Just to make sure that I do not procrastinate, I will create a blog post each Sunday to show my progress.

The plan is to conquer one area of the house each week until the house is completely organized. I will post the target areas, along with a list of items to be targeted. If you will like to join in the challenge, share your progress through comments on the post(s) or join our Facebook page event.

Week 1 - The Kitchen

To Do List:
  • Empty the contents of the cabinets and refrigerator.
  • Wipe clean, discard expired items, and purge any unwanted items, things that do not belong or items collecting dust.
  • Select only the items that are useful and group them.
  • Collect storage containers needed to create a unified look and functional space.
  • Organize cabinets, draws and refrigerator.
  • Mop floors and wipe cabinet doors, counter tops and walls.
  • Clean all appliances.
  • Clean light fixture(s).
  • Create a donation box with extra kitchen items that are in good condition.
Everyone has a method for how they like to do things in their home; so if you will like to join in the challenge, please share with us how you tackled the task list. I will share with you how I approach things each week and any helpful tips I may find along the way.

Happy organizing!



UPDATE

Week 2 - The Living Room
Week 3 - The Bathroom(s)
Week 4 - The Basement (Part I)
Week 5 - Master Bedroom
Week 6 - Kids Bedroom
Week 7 - Home Office
Week 8 - Laundry Room
Week 9 - Closets
Week 10 - The Basement (Part II)
Week 11 - Dining Room
Week 12 - Studio


Visit our Pinterest boards:
Organizing and Storage
Cleaning Tips and Tricks


7 comments:

  1. Hi! I love this idea! I am starting today 1/19/13. I have been a cluttered very unorganized SAHM for 3 1/2 years and I am going to back to the working world on Monday. (nervous) I am going to start this challenge today because I know I have to get back to an organized life especially now that I will be working fulltime again! Thank you for this and I look forward to completing this challenge with you and everyone else! Bring on week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to start this challenge today! For the last 3 1/2 years, I have been a very unorganized, cluttered Stay at home Mom. On Monday I will be returning back to work full time which also means I need to return to being totally organized with everything and keep a neat a organized home again (yes I know I should have been all these years but well I just got lazy I guess) I am so excited to do this challenge alongside you and everyone else! Bring on week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amee. I'm so happy that you will be joining us for the challenge. I know what you mean about getting disorganized. I have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm finding it so much more of a challenge to keep things organized than when I had my eldest son who is 10 years old. This is why I proposed this challenge. All the best with your new job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have already started doing this even before I found this blog, but now I have a more organized way of thinking in regards to how I should or could go about getting stuff organized and sorted. :) I am going to commit myself to the 12 week challenge! That gives me exactly the amount of time that I need in order to get all this done anyways. We are preparing to move out of state after my husband returns from deployment, so this blog is perfect timing for me! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining us Jami. All the best with your preparations for moving, let us know how things are working out for you. You should check out the Pinterest boards as well, there are links to lots of great cleaning and organization tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I know this was last year, but I'm pregnant and my house is crazy so I'm gonna try to use this to get my house in shape before I get too big and tired to do much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Just pace yourself and you are sure to get it done. I used this method and it got things into shape. It gets things organized and once items have a home it makes things a lot more manageable. It is also great if revisited on a regular basis. All the best!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...